What you need to know

Do I have a case?

Your entitlement to compensation depends on proving that the accident was the fault of another driver, your employer, the property owner etc. as appropriate.

How do I prove my case?

In addition to your own account of what happened and evidence of witnesses, proving liability can also require  technical evidence and expert reports may be necessary. We can arrange this for you.

What if I am partly at fault?

This does not prevent you to bringing a case but may result in a reduction of compensation. Apportionment of liability is again a technical process and we will provide you with the advice needed.

How long do I have to take a case and are there any exceptions?

The general rule for personal injury cases is two years but legal advice should always be sought in relation to how this rule is applied.

How much is my case worth? Is it worth my while?

Compensation should cover the pain, suffering and inconvenience you have endured and you are likely to endure into the future and also your out of pocket expenses as a result of the accident including any loss of earnings and reduction in earning capacity, if applicable.

Should I see a specialist?

Before accepting an offer or an Injuries Board Assessment in settlement of your claim or proceeding to a trial in Court, it is important to have established as far as possible the nature and extent of your injuries. Often you may be referred to a specialist within a hospital you are attending or your GP will refer you. We will always obtain reports from your treating specialists. We can also arrange referral for specialist opinion where this is necessary.

How long will it take ?

This can depend on the facts of your case, the available evidence and the complexity of your injury. Our office system involves obtaining the required documents as soon as possible and moving through the various stages of the process without delay so that ultimately you will have reliable advice and an efficient service.

What happens if my child has been injured?

The same principles apply but it is important to remember that your child has the additional protection that any conclusion of the case must be approved by a Judge.

What if I am the victim of a hit and run?

You may be able to bring your claim to the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland. We can advise you on the requirements of the MIB.